Explore the New Manufacturing is your tool to inspire and engage the next generation of workers.
We need your help to change the perception of manufacturing in our community. Few youth have had the chance to see first-hand the opportunities, career paths and successful role-models in the manufacturing field. You need make the commitment to personally guide them through the exploration of the new world of advanced manufacturing.
There are numerous programs that manufacturers can engage with students to offer a real experience in the world of manufacturing:
- BotsIQ—engage with local high school students in an educational robotics competition that provides a unique, hands-on experience that allows them to discover the career possibilities in the manufacturing sector
- Adventures in Technology—provide a real-world research project for classes of middle and high school students, who will tackle the work in the classroom to develop a solution, and then present their results
- Explore the New Manufacturing Student Video Contest—addressing the need of skilled workers by having local middle-school students develop an awareness program for the manufacturing community, creating an accurate image of manufacturing to their peers, parents, and teachers
- Manufacturing Day—national movement where manufacturers provide tours to young people in early October each year.
- Manufacturer Presentation—present information about today’s manufacturing to a group of students using the Explore The New Manufacturing toolkit
- Plant Tour—show students what manufacturing is like today with a group tour
- Job Shadowing—provide a half or full day experience for a student to share a “day in the life” at a manufacturing company
- PA eMentoring—give 30 minutes per week of guidance from your desk or home computer to positively impact a student for a lifetime
- Apprenticeships—develop skilled workers through an apprenticeship program like those offered through New Century Careers and the National Tooling and Machining Association (NTMA)
In addition, take advantage of these opportunities to connect with students to promote manufacturing careers.
- Expand your talent pool by posting your job openings on the BotsIQ web site. Promote career opportunities for BotsIQ alumni. Offer summer internship opportunities at your facility to talented high school or college students.
- Volunteer at a BotsIQ competition and witness up close the future of manufacturing in action. This is always a great way to personally recruit the best and the brightest for your company.
- Invest in the future of manufacturing by participating in the BotsIQ 5×5 campaign.
- Become an industry ambassador by speaking about careers in manufacturing to school boards, parents, educators and students.
- Take the time to exhibit at a school career fair or at the BotsIQ Finals to show students about the cool things that you work on at your company.
Contact Bill Padnos, email@example.com, for more information.